Friday 11 September 2020

Down on the Farm and a Finchley Walkabout




Just a few weeks ago during late August on what we all believed to be our last
warm Summer day, I took a local trip up to College Farm in Finchley, the last existing
Farm in this part of North London.

In 1983 the Farm celebrated it's centenary. And over the years it has hosted regular
School party visits as well as a monthly Arts and Crafts Fair laying on cream teas
in the Farm's dairy.
And having recently re-opened to the public after the Lockdown ease, the Farm also
re-opened it's popular shop selling Pet supplies and Horse Riding Wear among other things.

More on the history of the Farm HERE.

THE COLLEGE FARM WEBSITE




The early appearance of the purple Michaelmas Daisy is always a sign that the
Summer is on it's way out. And certainly last week there was an Autumnul chill
in the evening air. But we're now being told that a mini heatwave is heading
our way this weekend with temperatures in the high 20's by next Monday
and Tuesday.

Meanwhile the Covid infections here in the U.K are on the rise again, supposedly
due to negligence and ignorance on the part of the younger 20 to 30 age group.
And even I was surprised to receive a message from my Doctor's Practice warning
me of a rise in cases in my part of North London, and advised me to use caution.

 From this Monday the Government has banned any social gatherings of more
than six people.
And in a way I feel that we are going back to the days of the outbreak. So have we
achieved anything during these Summer months? Yet some people are still walking
around our streets and shops ignoring all guidelines without a care in the world,
confirming that this thing is going to be with us for some time yet.
 





Above:  The Farm Yard and Store.

Below: The Farm shop

Below: A slightly imposing (2nd) shop sign discouraging
unnecessary browsing.
From the Farm I can clearly see Hampstead and St Jude's
Church in the distance.

Above left is the now lesser used Farm entry driveway. It looks rather like
a French countryside Avenue of Cypress trees.

Below:  Moving on to Hendon Lane where I stumbled upon an old Church as well
as a familiar tower building.
Above:  A row of cottages in College Terrace just off the
main road into Finchley Central.


I was surprised to stumble upon this charming old Church, The Church of St Mary-at-Finchley
in Hendon Lane.
Old Churches have always fascinated me but not for what they stand for. For me I marvel
at their structural longevity. They are after all some of the longest standing buildings
in the land. Some of the oldest parts of the Church like the tower and north Wall
date back to the 15th century.
And yet somehow it has survived the ravages of the Civil War as well as the Second World War.

I was hoping to investigate the inside of the Church in the hope of experiencing that gothic
and medieval atmosphere that always seems on offer when entering an old Church,
but unfortunately the Church Vicar closed the main door early that afternoon just as
I was about to investigate.

THE OFFICIAL CHURCH WEBSITE


Just opposite the Church in Hendon Lane is The 'Pardes House Grammar School' for
Boys of the Jewish Faith. It was originally known as Christ's College.
The imposing tower is often referred to as 'The Candle Snuffer.' And a few years ago
I used to be able to see the copper tower way in the distance from my top
floor flat. Unfortunately the ever growing trees on Hampstead Heath has blocked
it out for good.
I've never actually been this close up to the building so it was a good opportunity
to get some close up images.
 
Below is quite a spectacular illustration of the building which was built in 1860 during
Queen Victoria's reign.
The architect was Edward Roberts.

Image and information via ARCHISEEK

Making my way back I stopped off to look around the shops
in Temple Fortune.
Above:  Temple Fortune looking down towards Hampstead.

Above: Passing Golders Green Bus Station on my way to Hampstead.

4 comments:

  1. Those damned trees that grow and block your view. I enjoyed walking out with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite one of your outback Aussie walkabouts. But I'm always thankful
      for the trees and living in a leafy area.

      Delete
  2. Avenue of Cypress trees photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sure. I was hoping to walk up that entrance but the gate was shut.

      Delete

Blog Comments Option has been disabled.
However, genuine unhurried comments are
always welcome via e-mail.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.