Sunday 1 November 2020

PICTURES I WISH I HAD TAKEN



Here's a wonderful Flikr page that I recently stumbled upon.  Called 'We Love England'  it
features some quite breathtaking images of our country.  Admittedly most of the pictures
here were captured in some of our most popular rural areas.  And it's even more understandable
now why England and the rest of Britain has always been a magnet for travelers.

I particularly love that top image taken up in The Lake District. Imagine being lucky enough 
to have that spectacular view outside your cottage window. It does slightly remind me of the
wild and hilly areas down in West Cornwall just outside St Ives. And as much as I'd love to live
in one of these beautiful rural places, I think I would always miss the busyness of our bustling
capital London, the place I was born.

For more of these wonderful photographs visit...



Above:  Thatched Cottages - Tenpenny Cottage
Welford on Avon, Warwickshire.
( Picture by Andrew S. Brown ).


Above:  A Winter Sky and Frost in Oxford.
Oxford South Park by Oxford Brookes


Above:  A Frosty Winter Morning.
The River Devon in Hawton, Nottinghamshire.
( Picture by Mandy Williams ).



Here's a young Austrian Youtuber called Vanessa who's clearly fascinated by
England and all Englishness. The very subject dominates her youtube channel.
And in her video below she tells us what her favourite 7 things are that she
loves most about living in England.
I wont tell you what those 7 things are as I don't want to put off the busy bees
out there from skipping the video. Just to say that Vanessa's 7  favourite likes
didn't surprise me at all.
But for someone who is actually Austrian, she has a very strong American accent.

Vanessa's Youtube Channel








So now it's official. England joins France and Germany for a full Lockdown. And our one is
due to last a minimum of 4 weeks, officially marking the arrival of the Covid 19 Second Wave.
This of course will take us then just 4 weeks up to Christmas. So it's going to be a strange old
festive time this year with many London events still undecided what to do this year.
One suspects that many of them will follow both the organizers of Somerset House Ice Skating
and Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland and just cancel.

But I cant help thinking that a Summer of hedonism plus the Government bringing in that
Super Saturday on the 4th of July really didn't help things along. And how British 
families chose to take their annual European holidays in the middle of a global pandemic, 
is just beyond me.
Am I perhaps being over pessimistic in saying that this pandemic wont be gone next year.
It's clearly going to be with us for some time yet.




Above:  Last night's Halloween Full Moon.

What a thrill it was to watch last night's Halloween Full Moon rise just outside my window
now that I have an unobstructed view of the night sky. And all thanks to the recent cutting 
down of a monstrously tall and wide leylandii tree just two gardens away from us.

What was notable about this particular Full Moon is that it was the first Full Moon since 1944
to appear on Halloween Night.

And it's just as the Moon first emerges on the horizon that it looks at it's largest as well as
looking somewhat gold. But as it gathers height in the night sky it brightens to a silvery 
white colour as you can see in my picture below which I took a couple of hours later.










Despite being made around 40 years ago, Tobe Hooper's classic horror flick
Salem's Lot is one of those rare horror movies that still packs a punch today.
So I couldn't resist making a gif of one of it's highlight scenes where Mr Barlow 
the Monster, makes a visit to the local Jail in search of fresh prey.
I've watched friends jump out of their skins when looking at this particular scene.
In fact I just watched it again on youtube with the sound on fairly high on my
headphones and it frightened the friggin life out of me.
Go on.  I dare you to do the same.

You can catch this scene on Youtube HERE.







6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. England countryside takes my breath away. Bloggy is back! Taiwan got a handle on covid. So did New Zealand, but that went bust. A new Stanford University study estimates that 18 Trump rallies have led to 30,000 COVID cases and 700 deaths. He's killing his voter base. 6 people on my street have died from it. Republicans too. Halloween didn't happen here. I took a pill, went to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Great pictures on that Flikr page. And yes, an old Bloggy picture. Still kept many of them. Can't believe what's happened in Taiwan. No new cases in hundreds of days so life has gone back to normal. Thousands of revellers lined the streets for their annual Pride event. Like Taiwan we're an Island so why couldn't we achieve that.

      I just don't get those Trump supporters. Don't they see through the lies and deceit of that uneducated idiot. What a dildo he was on 60 Minutes saying 'Now you're not going to give me tough questions are you?" And saying that we've turned the corner on Covid is absolutely criminal. If Biden wins then God Bless America...and all that. But if Trump wins then God Help America.

      Delete
  2. We haven't seen Bloggy for a while.
    New Zealand hasn't gone bust in any sense of the word.
    Excellent moon photos and as we are seeing it here.
    I heard this morning that the half price dine out food vouchers handed out were directly responsible for 17% of new infections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes good to see ol' Bloggy back. I'm looking to get him a Yeoman/Beefeater outfit (for small teddy bears), those guard uniforms they wear at The Tower of London.
      Not sure what the current state is in New Zealand. But odd that Taiwan believes it has completely eradicated Covid.
      I would hope that they'll be cautious for fear of it returning.

      Yes that was great having a window side seat for the Full Moon now that they chopped that damned tree down. The neighbours gave me a middle slice chunk of the tree trunk. It measures 2 feet wide all around. We're using it now as a garden prop.

      I wonder if our own recent dine out cut price vouchers caused the same problems here.

      Can you believe I caught a stinking Cold two weeks ago. Had lots of sneezing and a bit of a sore throat. But thankfully the one thing I didn't have was the dreaded coughing. So I knew I was safe. But I don't know why the media wont discuss and differentiate the difference between a common Cold and Covid 19.

      Delete
  3. Hi Dee - I love these photos especially the first one from the Lake District. I've never been there but we'll get there before long. Best wishes! Stay well! Sorry about the death of your other blog! - Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, I wondered where you got to. Yes a lovely Northern Lake District vista. But I wonder why they say
      it rains a lot up there. Perhaps you've put your British visit plans on hold with everything going on now.

      Yes the other blog is no more. The lack of feedback eventually killed it off. Just 4 or 5 regular contributors
      and commenters and I would have happily continued. Still it is freeing up a lot of my time now.
      Take care. Dee.

      Delete

Blog Comments Option has been disabled.
However, genuine unhurried comments are
always welcome via e-mail.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.