Tuesday 3 March 2020

Looking Back to Boston.....But Should we be Travelling Right Now with the threat of Coronavirus?


Looking back to some of my travel photo archives before I went digital in 2006,
I managed to get some travel negatives put on to a CD disc and the images
seem to have held up well.
These pictures were just a few of many that I took on my U.S trips between
2000 and 2006.
And it was while I was staying in New York that I jumped on a Greyhound Bus
at Penn Station and took the four hour trip to Boston.

Of course I miss the travelling after my big scare with the big 'C' in 2013. But then
if the opportunity rose to travel today, I'm not sure I would, now that we have a
potential global threat with the CORONAVIRUS.

And looking around online I see that many leisure travellers are still hopping
around the world without a care. To them the virus is an inconvenience.
Wouldn't it be better for these people to just stay at home until the whole thing
goes away, if it does.

Apparently the authorities in Boston are trying to tackle the virus problem
before their City's Boston Marathon coming up next month. Many of
us saw the pictures this last weekend of the half empty streets during
Sunday's Tokyo Marathon.

THE BOSTON HERALD

I remember spending a few hours late in the day, roaming around the Boston
Harbour and River before jumping back on the Greyhound Bus for that
four hour journey back to New York.

Above: Cathay Pacific staff at Boston's Logan Airport.

Looking like something out of a science fiction film, this is the
Thai Airways crew disinfecting an aircraft cabin to prevent the
spread of the coronavirus  at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi
National Airport.


2,773 PEOPLE ARE UNDER QUARANTINE
IN NEW YORK CITY.

U.K  CORONAVIRUS  LIVE UPDATES
THE INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER ONLINE


Apparently the latest figure of confirmed U.K. coronavirus
cases is up to
5,683. And we're reading that things will get
a lot worse.
And as we're being encouraged not to go out
unnecessarily, it is slightly putting me off visiting
all the places around town that I had planned to
visit, places like Galleries and Museums.   

2 comments:

  1. You can think like that and I understand, but your chances are low and that even if you do contract it, it probably won't be so serious for you, just a big inconvenience with probably self isolation at home for a couple of weeks. If you look at the population numbers where the virus is significant, it is still a very low percentage of the population. I really wish I had the courage of my convictions. I ate a pepper steak pie today and my nose dripped and fear overtook logic and I was about to die. Of course it was the pepper in the pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I just thought that by many people moving around the globe that it wasn't exactly
      helping things. But it's natural that American airports are weary of Asian passengers
      especially coming from China and those parts, the very place where they believe the virus
      started out.
      But I know that most Airports are now testing all passengers, especially at U.S Airports.

      Can't say that I'm keen on pepper or indeed any spicy food so popular with Asians.
      They often put pepper in our Cornish Pasties which can spoil them a bit.

      But I would never worry if some food made my nose drip. In fact every day I have a
      handful of Almond nuts, my absolute favourite nut. They are incredibly good for you
      and they always make my nose drip after a handful. They go to work on blocked nasal
      passages which is good for me having had a lifetime of sinusitis problems.
      Do look them up sometime. They are highly praised.

      Delete

Blog Comments Option has been disabled.
However, genuine unhurried comments are
always welcome via e-mail.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.