Monday 2 March 2020

The First Day of March


Well, Sunday was after all the first day of March so I thought I'd take a little walk around
The Heath and see how things were developing now that we're almost into a new season.
And surprisingly there was quite a bit of Spring colour. The daffodils were up alongside the
Spring Crocus. And even several Magnolia trees were in early bloom.
Although having just had our wettest ever February, The Heath's greens were quite damp.

And when I walked through the Park to get to the Hampstead Pergola it felt like I had
arrived at an Instagram convention with many couples taking advantage of the beautiful
surroundings. I also counted about four or five film groups making their video productions.
And although our Spring doesn't officially start until the 20th of March, it certainly felt Spring
like.
And in just 4 weeks our British Summertime begins on Sunday 29th of March.

More pictures below.

 

Above and below are a few images from The Water Garden,
all part of Golders Hill Park which leads into the
main Hampstead Heath.

It didn't surprise me to find some rave reviews for the wonderful
Golders Hill Park, as I did HERE on a Yelp page.
The Park has a Cafe, Zoo, a Childrens Play Area and several
ponds and a Water Park. And on Summer weekends they have
Music Concerts on the Bandstand.



Above are the two resident Donkeys at the Golders Hill Park Zoo.
And it was good to see them roaming about freely, as they do
seem to spend a lot of time in their enclosed barn where they
can't be seen.
I always preferred it when they used to roam about in the open
Fallow Deer area where they were closer to the general public.

In 2013 the Zoo took in six Wallabies, but with the double fencing
it is hard to get up close to them and other animals.

This enclosed area with it's pond statue, but with it's fountain
turned off, is a haven of Spring and Summer colour depending
on it's allotted annual Park budget.

My particular favourite flowers in this part of the Park are the
fine display of Red Dutch Tulips which will no doubt emerge anytime
soon.
And just out of shot of the water fountain is the Park's showpiece
Magnolia tree (below in full flower) as well as a beautiful white
Spring Blossom tree that often attracts many Japanese tourists
who pose under it for their instagram pictures.

Above: The ever popular Park Cafe which can get very
busy during the Summer months.

Above: The pond in The Hill Garden which leads into
The Hampstead Pergola.

Above: Cottages right on the edge of The Heath by the road side
and opposite a well known Pub.

If I ever pass the cottages in the evening just as it's getting
dark, then they look quite magical with their indoor lights on.
And that Pub just happens to be the famous 'Old Bull and Bush.'
And back in 2006 the interior was changed into a more modern
gastropub with an openly visible kitchen.
In fact I once had a memorable Sunday lunch there a few years
ago. And believe me, there's nothing like real home cooking.

Back in it's early days the Pub became popular as a daytrip for
cockney Londoners, resulting in that familiar Wartime song 'Down
at the Old Bull and Bush.'


THE OLD BULL AND BUSH WEBSITE

7 comments:

  1. Neil, Of course I keep forgetting that you were
    once a professional Chef/Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Heath looks stunning with its spring display. I don't think I've ever seen a magnolia as spectacular as the one in your photo. Good to know that 'The Old Bull and Bush' is not a myth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, That small full Magnolia Tree image is not mine (all others are mine).
      It saved me hunting for one in my photo files.
      Although it is in it's early budding stages and I will try to get a good picture
      of it end of Mar/early April as I regularly do each year.

      I always imagined that The Old Bull and Bush was somewhere in the cockney East End
      of London. Was quite surprised to see it for the first time here in Hampstead.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree about thinking it would be in the East End.

      Delete
    3. I have a bad flea in my ear now, Come, come, come to me, Down at the Old Bull and Bush. Thanks.

      Delete
    4. Haha! I just watched that old youtube featuring the song....and sung by cockneys.
      Very dated, but still good ol' British fun.

      Delete

Blog Comments Option has been disabled.
However, genuine unhurried comments are
always welcome via e-mail.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.